Sunday, July 24, 2011

Concerts in the Park

Celebrate Brooklyn! Free concerts all summer a few blocks away. This was our first and a special one that also celebrated Brooklyn author Ezra Jack Keats. A woman read from books that were displayed on a giant screen "Jennie's Hat" and "Maggie and The Pirates" (for your next trip to library, Silas!) The actual concert was Dan Zanes who also share the stage with a children's orchestra, a Marimba group from Seattle and and dance troupe from Bed Sty. Mr. Zanes puts on a great show - he and his very talented and young band (the woman who played fiddle could also jam on the spoons) I caught Finley busting some serious moves wearing a serious dance face. My personal favorite moment was during the last song - he had everyone on their feet, there was a breeze was blowing and we were all singing "The Sidewalks of New York" in a round until people just naturally walked away. Afterwards we scootered down the slope homeward to bed. I WISH I could have had everyone I know here to go to the West Side Story movie screening complete with choreographers teaching the audience to dance like a Jet. The last concert will be while my cousin Nana the Fairy Godmother is here for a visit... Alvin Ailey's Revelations!! So perfect. Brooklyn, have I told you lately that I love you?



1 comment:

ma otter said...

You are in the perfect place at the perfect time...heat and all...I wish I was there!