Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Parental Observation # 245

So something interesting and deceptively subtle just happened. I was rocking the baby to sleep with a little Sam Cooke (the only cd that has been in the player the whole time since her birth:) - and I was doing the internal dialogue that I am sure everyone who has tried to put a kid down to sleep has had "Ok, there they go... eyes are closing - that's it, ok - no, wait..... there's a twitch and a flutter..... Oh, there we go - the big sigh, she's out... except she's not - one then two eyes OPEN! Arrgh! Frustrating. I usually really want her to go to sleep because I have something I need do like pee or eat or something else of a totally basic nature. But today, I didn't need to do anything - I just knew she was tired and was rocking her down when I caught myself - "that's the 4th song - she's usually out by now.... oh, there go her eyes - she's out" and this is where it got interesting because I realized I didn't care if she went out or not. Her eyes opened, she looked at me for a few long moments and I just looked back, not thinking, not wanting the moment to be any different that it was. It was beautiful and I would have missed it if I would have doing business as usual being stuck in my head.... I was still looking as the eyelids dropped and she was out:)

Cousins Finley and Silas dreaming together a few weeks ago

3 comments:

Lauren said...

As a mama whose baby days are over I am so glad you enjoyed that moment. I definitely enjoyed my babies - but now what I wouldn't do to have 15 minutes with one of my 2 kids as baby in my arms.

She is changing so much every week! Can't wait to see her in person.

ma otter said...

well said Cami...and Lauren...again, a little tear!
love you guys
annie

Anonymous said...

you had one of those "magical moments" Cami where suddenly everything is beautifully clear and peaceful..I believe it's called "living in the moment". Enjoy!