Saturday, February 26, 2011

What the Frack is up with the WATER?

I can remember laying in bed at night when I was a kid and before I would fall asleep sometimes I would try to freak myself out. I would think about myself laying in bed and then think about rising up into the sky higher and higher until I was in space and then just stay there in space feeling the enormity of it all until I was truly freaked. These days a darker version of this for me is thinking about Population and now more and more... Water.
s


I have yet to see Gasland but I did watch the trailer and could not believe my eyes when this poor old guy turned on his sink, lit a match and a ball of fire exploded from the tap. Apparently natural gas companies are leasing rights from people to drill into their land and cause explosions that then cause small earthquakes and releases natural gas (a f-ed up process called "fracking") which then gets sucked up for big profit. It's not supposed to affect the drinking water but IT DOES.
This brings me to my next film which I did see last week on my streaming netflix...


Here in Brooklyn our tap water smells and tastes of chlorine. We boil it and it tastes fine. I then put it in a glass pitcher in the fridge. When out and about I often get bottles of water. Well, no more. After seeing Tapped there are so many reasons not to. Now I know that the City of New York probably tests the water up to 300 times a month while the self regulating bottled water industry does virtually none. Then there is the truly mortifying fact that there are giant plastic soup masses that are growing in our oceans.
I can easily not buy anymore water bottles. Having a little kid you kind of resign yourself to lots of plastic crap in your life. But consciously trying to cut back I must. Then there is the packaging of food... What else? YIKES.

2 comments:

ma otter said...

this is why those lunchboxes make me so happy but then I turn around and buy tons of other packaged crap. overwhelming.

frack.

I will definitley watch those documentaries!
wish you were here tonight for the academy awards.
its really fun to watch with Mac and Emmett.
last night we watched Wintersbone with Mac. Very harsh movie, great performances. All those women are wearing my flannels and my haggard expression...;)
anyway, xxxxxooooo

craig or cami said...

yes, I am really looking forward to using that awesome pink plastic lunchbox over and over and over...
Gasland is actually nominated though I secretly hope Banksy wins.
Anyway... I am dying laughing at you, West Virginian Mountain Momma.