Friday, April 23, 2010

We are growing green things in Brooklyn!

My very first foray into vegetable gardening from seed which so lame since we had HOUSES with lots of dirt around them for YEARS... All things in their own time, right? So here we go, thanks to Annie and her seed bank we now have - lettuce growing on the fire escape. We shall see if the beans and beets grow? The little plot we planted in the backyard is a little harder to get to and there are more varmits - we'll see if we get anything - I would be happy with one big sunflower! The pink tree is our favorite (obviously) on the block.







4 comments:

ma otter said...

oh my god that tree!! pink just for Feeee!!
and don't forget to thin out those lovely little seed babies.
cami I am happy to see this. so happy to see things growing on that fire escape.
and in the little raised bed.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxotoyouandtospring

craig or cami said...

What if I don't thin them out? Will they be a bunch of sprouts? Finley kind of poured the whole packet in one spot, my mistake... But I was wondering what if? Do they just crowd each other out and are unable to grow? I think some beans are coming out today hee hee!

ma otter said...

just keep thinning them out gently, one or two at a time and EAT them...put the sprouts in your sandwiches, salads on your bagels and eggsalad etc ...they won't grow big if they are crowded and should be about an inch apart now if possible.
then in a couple of weeks you can thin them out even more by eating the little lettuces.
At the end you will have maybe 7 bigger complete plants in your big planters and you can harvest leaves when you want.
...you know all the lettuce I had in planters ?...I just picked half of them because they were starting to
bolt and getting bitter....so I added more good dirt and planted some more seeds!!!!
and on and on.....
forever ;)
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Caline said...

It's so exciting to plant from seed! Especially rewarding! Is the pink tree a fruit tree? Apricots or peaches?
You guys are fun & I want to come over!!!