Saturday, June 25, 2011

Good Grades and Gay Weddings!

I have not posted about going to school here in a while. The day of talking about not what I want to do but what I have actually done is HERE! I finished my first college course yesterday with a 94 on my final. This is after a week of practice finals during which the first three grades were 45, 36, 48! There was actually a very real possibility that I would need to take this class again, happens all the time. The day I got a 72 I knew there was hope and when I got a 96 I knew everything would be OK. During the course of this class I learned not only basic algebra (which I don't remember EVER knowing) but also many things about about school and myself in general like...

I learned how to study - I have tools! Notecards and highlighters and page marker thingy's and reading glasses;) I learned how to test. I learned I can test when nervous, can calm myself with breathing and affirmations. I can sit and learn in a room with rowdy 18 year olds and want to strangle them and then not strangle them. I can trust in my brain. I can learn as well as anybody (part of me deep down always thought college was for "other" people and that I couldn't do it) I learned how to just get down to studying- I can spend a LOT of time getting ready to study. I learned I can be very disappointed and want to give up and then NOT give up and succeed. (I think I learned that one before but it felt new;)) I can ask for help - Professor Han spent a fair amount of time with me, my Aunt Liz was back and forth sending scans of homework and emails and my cousin Phebe was there with help I didn't even know I needed and so many others out there supporting me with thoughts and calls and texts. The last thing I learned was don't drink before the final - even a small amount - nervous test pee syndrome;) - I had already learned don't drink too much caffeine before a test a few days earlier. Fall sememster starts with a full load of psychology 101, math 1175, biology 101, and english 101. I am VERY grateful that I had to cut my teeth on this summer class. Looking forward to my days as a brainiac. Onward! Lifelong evolution... weeeeeeee! I will also add that Craig and Finley were so supportive and we worked very well as a team - I definitely didn't do this on my own... Craig didn't sleep much and Finley watched a TON of show but we made it.


AND the other really great thing that happened yesterday was Governor Andrew Cuomo made gay marriage legal in New York State. Way to GO New York! I want to see a conga line, a band wagon of other states lining up for this one!

5 comments:

ma otter said...

cami I love you so much!
you can do anything!
you are seriously impressive.
and NY rocks too!
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo from all of us here, everyday sending love

craig or cami said...

so proud of you!
-papa d

Caline said...

Congratulations Cami!
It seems that the lessons in confidence far outweigh the algebra.
You're awesome and your supportive family is awesome too!!
Santa Fe had a miniature pride event in honor of NY yesterday.
Great news all around!!!
Love and admiration your way.
C

Caline said...

PS- the new Finley banner makes me weak in the knees! Oh good grief YUM!

Gracie said...

YAY!!! So not surprised by your success at school...that big brain was just achin' for some fostering! W.a.y. t.o. g.o.!! So proud of you, Cami! And proud of Craig and Finley for their support in the process!

Oh...and I'm so jealous about the Gay Wedding thing.....hoping it will happen here someday... :-)

Lots o' love from this homey (literally and figuratively!)