Friday, November 13, 2009

I'll see your Gerard Depardieu and raise you one!

Hey Annie - check it... I rented Camille Claudel which was great though frustrating and sad - I thought of you often especially when they said at the beginning "she's got the madness of the mud!!"

Anyway this one came up as a suggestion so I picked it and if you haven't seen it, you must! It is actually 2 movies (Jean de Florette, Manon of the Spring) same story 10 years apart. You will need at least a couple evenings but it is totally worth it. This is an example of a film that would never get made today because of the time that they take to develop the characters and story. I don't want to give any of it away but I predict you will love it! The character for Manon in the second movie is a bit of a wrong choice in my opinion...or the direction of her was wrong, can't tell. It is also maybe my favorite Depardieu part ever as a thoughtful and optomistic hunchback farmer!

5 comments:

ma otter said...

ooooo exciting for me!
we also recently rented A Man Named Pearl and I just loved it so much!
love your taste.
finishing up my Jane Campion film festival...she's got erotica for women nailed I think...

...but we are also having a different kind of film festival around here. Mac has just discovered the chick flick/romantic comedy of the most predictable type and we are having so much fun. wE have watched Sleepless in Seattle and youve got Mail and Always and on our list is Green Card and Say Anything and my personal stupid favorite..."Overboard".
fun fun fun

Caline said...

I own about ten films and both of those are in my collection!

craig or cami said...

ok caline, in that case i need to know the other 8!!

craig or cami said...

Love the film fest happening out there - when Steel Magnolias or Beaches roll around I am flying out! (just kidding though I wish I weren't!)

Anonymous said...

two of my favorite movies of all time Cami...great recommendations. I think I may netflix them again.

Annie..we just watched The Devil Wears Prada..great chick flick enjoyment for Isabel. WE are at that stage too. I forgot about Sleepless in Seattle. That's next!