Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009!!



We woke up and got in the car to go see our first Thanksgiving Day Parade. What an awesome event to behold. It made me want to buy a bunch of presents at Macy's - really, it is a very nice thing they do for the people of NY. We wanted to see it up by the park but were late and ended up parking at the end of the route at 34th and 9th. We were only able to see from 8th avenue so we walked a bunch to get closer - it was madness but it had to be done. We wished Silas could have seen the gi-normous Buzz Lightyear! I couldn't help myself, I booed the Ronald MacDonald balloon:) I had been talking about the Dora the Explorer balloon to Finley all week and had my first experience of promising an event and possibly disappointing her if we missed it. We delivered the goods and all was well until... We get to Pops and Bebe's place for The Dinner. We are there for maybe a 1/2 hour before Finley barfs up a bunch of blueberries and juice she had had when we arrived. We changed her clothes got her calmed down and about 20 minutes later she barfed again - this time all over me. We both changed into Bebe's clothes and Finley took a long nap while we had a GREAT meal with Ann, Lisa's sister and a couple friends, Jillian and Barbara. I love meeting strangers at Thanksgiving dinner. I never thought I would but it has happened before and I really love it. One of them was southern and made the most delicious pecan pie I ever had. This year, I also liked thinking of Constance Hopkins, my ancestor who survived that first year at Plymouth and was at the first Thanksgiving. We didn't see any football and we stayed really late in spite of it all - Finley woke up feeling better, ready for some chow and some action. Now it is a day later, my antibiotics (I have been sick since October 11!) are kicking in and for that I am truly truly thankful. I love feeling grateful - it's the best antidote!









2 comments:

Gracie said...

Grateful for YOU!!! And these wonderful posts!!! Glad you had a wonderful day....thought of you while watching the parade..and I love Macy's too! That pecan pie looks amazing.... We had my friend Cindy from China over for a week of Thanksgiving fun. I almost killed her and Lori (long story...I'll save for a call). The boys, a couple of friends, and Lori and I ate and ate and ate....cuz that's how I roll! Love you lots and miss you more...hugs and loves to Finley and Craig!

ma otter said...

thank you so very much for Buzz. We are printing it up BIG for Silas.
looks like good fun all around. Even the barfing, in retrospect of course.
xo
annie