Saturday, November 21, 2009

?? - it's what's for dinner...

















Two things happened recently on the topic of food. First, I watched Food Inc. last week. If you haven't seen it, put it on your Neflix or go to Blockbuster or your local video store, buy it online - whatever... just Get It. Second, the other night I went to go into our community book store when the door opened and out came my new favorite author Johnathan Safran Foer. I chased him down the block and begged an autograph while each of our small children stared at me like I had lost my mind. I had. I may be brave but I really never do things like that... I was once locked in a bathroom with Michael Stipes for a 1/2 hour and didn't say a word. Anyway, he invited me to a reading for his new book Eating Animals that night and luckily the cards were stacked in my favor, Craig could stay home with the Bubba so I went. This all happened 2 blocks from the apartment! I haven't been that excited to see someone since a Tom Waits concert back in 2000. It was a great experience and I am really enjoying the book so far. He, of course did receive a copy of Family Photograph and a promise never to bug him in public again::))

I don't know what all the information means for me exactly, but I do know a change is happening and how I think about and buy food for me and my family will not be the same.

There is a website from Food Inc. you can go to get informed and involved. I just checked it out myself and happened upon a blog post from Mr. Safran Foer about another topic that is consuming my days...


5 comments:

ma otter said...

wow.
that is too incredibly great.
I love his funky fancy signing too.
(and even "the sun" is writing about eating animals in the latest issue, but from the hunter/environmentalists perspective...did not make me want to be a hunter.ha. we will see how matt feels about it all.)

as for the small pics...when you google image, click the one you want, then make sure you click on "see full size image"...then click and drag the big one...

brooklyn's the bomb
annie

craig or cami said...

annie - while he was signing I was like ooooo! ohhhhhh! like a dork. but it was so flourishy and cool! thanks for the pic tip that was driving me crazy!

Caline said...

I would have chased him and thrown myself on the ground in front of him and grabbed his ankles so he couldn't get away or something even dorkier I'm sure!
How incredibly fantastic!! I've had many fantasy conversations in my head with him... I guess it's probably best that I be kept very far away!!!
I bought his book as soon as it came out and started it but haven't lapped it up as voraciously as his others. Definitely a graphic pill to swallow...
Interestingly, while we were in Italy this summer I had some vegetarian leanings once again. I have gone through many phases with that over the years not so much philosophically as personal preference.
Anyway, I agree, it makes you think...

craig or cami said...

you were locked in a bathroom with Micheal Stipes?????? why have I never heard this story before?????
And,so I guess you wont be eating the kielbasa I brought home...too bad! more for me and mac.
-craig

craig or cami said...

I caved had the kielbasa - what is WRONG with me?!! It's gonna a be a long road... I may need to start/go to FFA - Factory Farming Anonymous!